Skills Symposium Foundations Course puts the “I” in P2
Join trainers Barbara Chappell & Alan Beattie for one or both of the IAP2 flagship public participation courses.
The experience can be transformative.
“This is valuable training for anyone working in the Communications/Public Relations industry because so much of this knowledge is assumed or taken-for-granted, especially by decision-makers. This course applies a professional rigour and framework to these endeavours that can help either avert disaster or maximise outcomes.”
—Course participant, December 2015
“By far the best training I have attended in my 17-year public service career.”
—Course participant, May 2015
The Planning module includes theory sessions to help participants develop an understanding of public participation and prepare them for the application of the theory to practice.
The Techniques module breaks down specific methods including World Café, Interviews, Revolving Conversations, Deliberation, and Advisory Groups. You’ll leave armed with a wealth of reference material, IAP2 tip sheets, and the ability to select appropriate procedures for each new project. Planning is a prerequisite to Techniques.
Participants in the Planning Module will learn to:
- Develop an understanding of values based public participation
- Prepare a public participation plan based on a clear understanding of the decision under consideration and the role the public may play in the decision process
- Develop an understanding of how to set engagement and communication objectives and assess the associated risks
- Develop an awareness of a range of public participation techniques
- Determine how to select techniques to meet engagement and communication objectives
- Review, monitor and improve public participation practices
Participants in the Techniques Module will learn to:
- Understand key characteristics of a wide variety of traditional and emerging techniques and technologies
- Asses and select techniques to meet identified public participation objectives
- Modify and combine techniques to meet various objectives and circumstances
- Determine the skills and resources needed to use different techniques effectively
Participants will receive a certificate of course completion.