Monthly Practitioner Call Kick-Off: Recap and Upcoming Dates
Our inaugural practitioner call last week went well with nine people attending. Some of the things we discussed included:
- Brief introduction to the idea behind practitioner calls.
- Announcement of planned 2012 launch of several IAP2 USA communities of practice (CoP), e.g. Transportation, Local Government. While the monthly practitioner calls are intended as a general entry point, these communities of practice will focus on specific topics and knowledge areas.
- How to best serve practitioners who work across multiple disciplines, not just one single industry? This seemed to apply to the majority of the people on the call.
- Idea of an additional Q&A offering that allows members to ask and answer questions in between the monthly calls (maybe organized asynchronously via the forum section of our website).
- The importance of making it easy for members to follow all of the practitioner offerings (e.g. RSS, email updates).
We also touched upon one actual practitioner question regarding government standards and processes for public participation specifically at the local level and how to go from standards to implementation. Hopefully, the outcomes of this piece of ongoing research will be shared over time.
We decided to meet every first Monday of the month, at 11am Pacific Time (2pm Eastern Time). Please mark your calendars for these upcoming calls (dial-in information will be shared a week in advance in the member section of our website):
- Monday, January 2, 2012 at 11am PT (2pm ET)
- Monday, February 6, 2012 at 11am PT (2pm ET)
- Monday, March 5, 2012 at 11am PT (2pm ET)
- Monday, April 2, 2012 at 11am PT (2pm ET)
- Monday, May 7, 2012 at 11am PT (2pm ET)
- Monday, June 4, 2012 at 11am PT (2pm ET)
We will revisit our schedule mid-year based on participant and member feedback.
If you have any questions how you can get involved, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below or contact us.