Member Directory Maintenance Completed
We successfully completed our maintenance work last night. Once again, here’s what we did:
Change #1: Enabling member-to-member profile sharing
Under privacy setting “Profile access / Show profile to others”, all members whose profiles were created prior to April 25, 2011 have now been set to “checked”. Since no profile information is shown to anyone unless this option is selected, our member directory was looking pretty empty until last night.
This change means that all of our members are now sharing their profile information with each other unless and until they opt out. For new profiles, this had already been the default since late April.
Change #2: Making basic profile information public
In addition to enabling member-to-member profile sharing, we also made certain basic profile information public:
- First name
- Last name
Here’s how the new settings look when you log in:
This change means that all members now show up in our public member directory, albeit with limited profile information. For new profiles, this is now the default.
How to update your privacy settings
We are committed to protecting your privacy. While we believe that last night’s changes add a lot of value to members and to IAP2 USA as an organization, we want to make sure you understand that you are in full control of your privacy settings and can reverse our changes if you wish. If you prefer not to share your basic profile information publicly or otherwise want to limit (or increase) the amount of profile information you share, simply do the following:
- Log into our website.
- In the left sidebar, click “view profile“.
- Select “privacy”.
- Click “Edit profile”.
- For each piece of profile information, select the desired level of sharing: anybody (this information will be available to the general public), members (this information will be available only to fellow IAP2 USA members) or no access (this information will not be shared).
- Click “save”.
- Head to the private (member-only) member directory to verify your settings.
- Log out.
- Head to the public member directory to verify your settings (only information that you want to share with “anyone” should show here).
- Lather, rinse, repeat if necessary until you’re happy with the results!
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.