Home > News > Building a Community of Practice

Building a Community of Practice

One of the goals we hope to accomplish with our new member website is to make it as easy as never before for members to connect and share with each other.

In the past, IAP2 members were able to provide the following information in their profiles:

Majority of P2 experience in… (check all that apply)

• Public Sector / Government
  • Private Sector / Commercial
  • Not for Profit
  • Academic

Interest areas (check all that apply)

• Education
  • Energy
  • Environment
  • Healthcare
  • Infrastructure
  • Sustainability
  • Transportation
  • Waste Management
  • Water

Are these still relevant and useful? Are we missing any checkboxes (for example, I don’t see Urban Planning anywhere)? What other questions would you like to see that would help you better describe your interests and experience?

Let us know in the comments. Thanks!

Categories: News
  1. February 28, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I think there are probably a number of areas of interest that could be added. If you add Urban Planning, don’t forget that there are some of us who live in rural areas where that category doesn’t fit but public participation in community planning is just as important. I also use public participation in any strategic planning effort that I undertake with a client, and I encourage it as part of the roles and responsibilities of board members, both nonprofit and publicly elected boards. Not sure if I’m coming up with good categories, but the only area of interest from above that fits for me is Education, and that doesn’t really cover all of what I do.

2. Rhonda Peterson
    March 1, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Possible addition to primary areas of P2 experience: Consulting. (The company I work for is private, but our clients are nonprofits and public agencies.)

Possible addition to the list of interest areas: Housing. This could also fit under the broader area of Urban Planning, if that is added.

3. October 19, 2011 at 11:18 am

I’d probably want to add online engagement as one community of practice I’d like to see. Wonder if there is broader interest…

4. October 19, 2011 at 11:20 am

Also, IAP2 Canada have launched their communities of practice covering the following areas:

Aboriginal Consultation,
    French Language P2 Practitioners,
    P2 Consultants, and
    P2 in each of the following sectors: Education, Environment, Government, Natural Resources, Not -for-Profit.

I’m sure there’s plenty of opportunity to collaborate, at least in some of the key areas.

5. November 30, 2011 at 12:47 pm

IAP2 Canada meanwhile has arrived at these CoP areas (via their Facebook group) and are currently looking for people to lead these groups:

– Aboriginal Consultation
    – Education
    – Environmental Sector
    – Health & Wellness Sector
    – Resource Sector
    – Not for Profit
    – Consultants
    – Government Sector
    – La communauté de pratique (en langue française !)

Looks like there could be plenty of room for collaboration.

1. November 29, 2011 at 10:06 am